MIAMI – February 28, 2017 – The first annual Locales Festival by Chef James, a one-day celebration of the Latin American Community and Miami’s diverse culture, debuts in South Florida at Bayside Marketplace in the heart of Downtown Miami on Sunday, April 2, 2017. Hosted by Chef James Tahhan and produced by Premier Tourist and Landmark Association, the festival will also celebrate Bayside Marketplace’s 30th birthday and shine the spotlight on community accomplishment through the Miami Bayside Foundation (MBF). The family-centric event will also highlight numerous aspects of the Latin American culture such as the arts including live music performances and film competitions; sports including interactive activities; and the vibrant culinary scene with celebrity chefs from Miami’s top restaurants.
“Our goal is to produce the largest family friendly Latin American festival in the United States. There is no better city to start the Locales Festival than Miami, the gateway to the Americas,” said Byron Appel, CEO of Premier Tourist and Landmark Association. “Miami is an incredibly vibrant and diverse city, and Locales Festival will celebrate and amplify the unbelievably contributions of the Latin American community here in Miami.”
As Miami’s most visited destination and the anchor of Downtown Miami, Bayside Marketplace deemed the Locales Festival as the perfect event to parallel the celebration of its 30th anniversary. Moreover, a portion of the proceeds from the festival will benefit Miami Bayside Foundation; a non-profit created by Bayside Marketplace developers and dedicated to advancing economic development in Miami through small business loans and a large array of scholarship programs with myriad academic institutions in Miami.
“With the immense amount of community building that Bayside has accomplished over the years, especially through its Miami Bayside Foundation, it was a natural decision to invite Locales Festival to the center stage of the community in Miami,” said Pamela Weller, Bayside’s General Manager.
Chef James Tahhan, the official chef of Telemundo and host of its morning show Un Nuevo Dia, will host Locals Festival alongside honorary chairs Mayor Tomás Regalado and wife Ana Cristina Regalado. Chef James will also spearhead the panel of celebrity judges for the culinary competition with the Miami Culinary Institute, one of the many culinary-focused activations. Tahhan is a leading figure in the culinary world, renowned for his unique cooking style that combines his vast knowledge of contemporary Latin American cuisine with his Venezuelan-Syrian-Armenian heritage and his restaurant Sabores.
“Locales Festival is a platform to showcase my passion for the culinary arts and my love for the Latin American community,” said Chef James Tahhan, Locales Festival partner and host. “This festival will offer gifted students of all backgrounds the chance to showcase their talents in a day-long event that the whole community can enjoy.”
Sunday, April 2, 2017 Event Line Up
Bayside Blaster Family Cruise – (10:30AM – 5:30PM)
- Families can enjoy a narrated cruise along the scenic Biscayne Bay – enjoyable for those looking to sit and relax for a 30-minute tour of the iconic harbor.
CULINARY: IT’S CRAFT TIME – (ALL DAY)
- Celebrity Cooking Competition: (2-3PM)
- Talented chefs from the Miami Culinary Institute out of Miami Dade College will compete to be named the top finalist for the ultimate cook-off in front of celebrity chefs and guests. Winner to receive a $2,500 scholarship to their Miami Culinary Institute tuition.
- Beer Trivia: (ALL DAY)
- Attendees can try their luck at guessing the origins of various craft beers in the ultimate tasting challenge, in partnership with Professor Barry Gump of the Brew FIU Program of Florida International University. Participants are invited to taste and smell samples for a chance to win a brewery tour.
- Juice Zone: (10AM-3PM)
- Local juice shops will partner to create this refreshing and interactive zone where kids and adults alike can sample different combinations and prepping methods – this area will also educate families on the nutritional value of fresh juices.
- Bayside and MBF’s Finest: (ALL DAY)
- Onsite Bayside Marketplace vendors such as Tradewinds Bar and Grill as well as celebrated Miami food institutions like Panther Coffee, Miami Smokers, Mundo Café, and others that have flourished from loans provided by the Miami Bayside Foundation will be present to provide free samples throughout the entire day.
ARTS + SPORTS: SOUTH FLORIDA HAS TALENT – (ALL DAY)
- Music @ Locales Festival:
- Up and coming musicians from the entire Miami community, as selected by Top Latin personalities in the music industry, will be given exposure on the Latinos on Fast Track Stage (LOFT), in partnership with the Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF).
- Films @ Locales Festival:
- Film and production students from more than 20 Miami-Dade high schools are invited to produce short films to be screened at Locales for a chance to wow the crowd and film-critics alike. The top two films will be screened at the Miami Short Film Festival in November 2017.
- Visual Art Tent Displays:
- Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be designing brand-specific tents to showcase their visual art talents.
- Art @ Locales:
- A showcase for select Miami-Dade art students to highlight the use of recycled materials in creating imaginative green conscious art works. In partnership with MOCA North Miami, Miami Beach High School, and Art Studio Miami.
- Fashion @ Locales Festival: (1-2PM)
- Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be showcasing their repurposed clothes donated by Century 21 Department Stores at the Locales Festival fashion show. Clothes will then be donated to a non-profit of choice.
- Sports Zone:
- Maimi’s favorite sports teams including the Marlins, Heat, Miami FC, and the Dolphins are bringing batting cages, mini fields, and other activations for a fun filled day for the family.
LIVE MUSIC CONCERT + FIREWORKS SHOW – (4 – 9:30PM)
- Well-known Latin Grammy® nominated artists, top DJs, and other entertainers will take over the stage at Locales to perform their top hits – featuring a variety of rhythmic sounds such as Latin electronica, Caribbean, funk and hip-hip beats. Locales Festival will conclude with a 15 minute fireworks display to celebrate Bayside’s 30th Additional performer details will be announced closer to the festival date.
ADMISSION TO LOCALES FESTIVAL BY CHEF JAMES
General admission to Locales Festival includes access to a variety of festival activities and all live concert performances taking place between 10:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. Locales Festival VIP admission packages are also available. All packages are limited and subject to availability, benefitting the Miami Bayside Foundation.
- 12 and under FREE
- Young Adults (12-20) $25
- Adults (21+) $50
- Stage VIP
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP
- Biscayne Lady VIP (21+) $150
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP, meet & greet with celebrity chef
- The Biscayne Lady is a 111-foot, 360 passenger luxury yacht – complete with a sky deck for a 360-degree panoramic view
- Venetian Lady VIP (21+) $450 – Presented by Top Artist + Celebrity Chef
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP, meet & greet with artists and dignitaries
- The Venetian Lady is a 130-foot, 140 passenger luxury yacht – ideal for concert and fireworks viewing
For Sponsorship Opportunities at Locales Festival please reach out to Byron Appel at email@example.com or 347-831-4853.