The Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF) in partnership with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) Foundation, U.S. Army, CVS Caremark Workforce Initiatives, ExxonMobil, University of Phoenix, and Southwest Airlines (the official airline) will host a Latinos On Fast Track (LOFT) STEM Symposia across America. The leadership and workforce development program is free and will provide guidance, opportunities, and connectivity for students and young professionals in the STEM fields for their education and careers The seven cities will include:
Miami - March 22, 2012 - University of Miami
Chicago - April 5, 2012 - University of Illinois-Chicago
San Antonio - April 19, 2012 - St. Mary's University
San Jose - May 3, 2012 - Santa Clara University
Houston - Nov 13, 2012 - University of Houston
Los Angeles - Dec 5, 2012 - Cal Poly Pomona
New York - Jan 24, 2013 - St. John's University
The events will feature:
- A dynamic and exclusive leadership training led by the U.S. Army. This leadership training is designed to help student-leaders define their role within their organizations, and encourage them to seek out leadership roles in schools and communities.
- An insightful panel of STEM professionals showcasing their different career paths, and the resources and opportunities for Latinos to enter the STEM fields.
- An opportunity to network with professionals and other emerging Latino leaders interested in STEM.
- Connectivity to a network of support of more than 75,000 Latinos across the country.
- Sponsor give-aways/raffles: Attendees will enter a raffle to win a free round-trip Southwest Airlines ticket and additional sponsor give-aways.
"With America struggling to fill more than 3 million job openings in the STEM-related fields, we feel strongly that investing in high-achieving Latino youth is a solution," said Antonio Tijerino, President & CEO of Hispanic Heritage Foundation. "With more than 10,000 baby-boomers reaching retirement age every day for the next 19 years in the STEM fields, our LOFT program and sponsors understand the urgency of identifying, inspiring, preparing, and positioning our workforce. There is no better place to focus than the youngest and fastest-growing segment of the population".
Seating is limited. Interested participants should RSVP promptly at http://bit.ly/125WK7j. Attendees will receive an event confirmation post registration. Food and refreshments will be provided.
Contact: Santiago Amieva at Santiago@HispanicHeritage.org